How to Prevent a Dog from Chewing Electrical Cords

Dogs—especially puppies—like to chew. That comes as no surprise to us dog lovers. Some pups outgrow it. Others don’t.

It took a decade for my 13-year old Corgi-Chi mix, Parker, to let go of his chewing obsession.

I adopted him at age two, and he spent the next 10 years of his life finding and destroying shoes. Now he just moves them from the front door to his bed. If he’s feeling ambitious, he may untie the laces.

Although I said goodbye to many shoes over a decade, there are other inviting “chewables” that pose a real threat to your dog’s well-being and life: electrical cords, wires, and cables.

The danger of your dog chewing on electrical cords

When your dog gnaws on power cords, it can result in serious injuries and even death. According to petMD, here are the signs that your dog was shocked while chewing on wires or cables:

  • Burns around the mouth or singed fur
  • Shortness of breath
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Muscle tremors
  • Seizures
  • Physical collapse

If you know or suspect your dog is suffering from electrical shock, Dog Health advises you to shut off the electricity to that cord immediately.

Do not touch your pet if you can’t turn off the electricity—you could get electrocuted too. Instead, use something wood-based to move your dog off the power cord.


Advertisment

Prev1 of 3

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments