Are Easter Lilies Poisonous to Dogs?

We all know that we need to keep our dogs away from the chocolate in our Easter baskets this week, but what about the Easter lilies in our holiday centerpieces? These popular flowers will make their appearance in many homes this season, so it’s important to ask—are Easter lilies poisonous to dogs?

Continue reading to discover if your spring flowers could pose a danger to your beloved pet.

Are Easter Lilies Poisonous to Dogs?

As you shop for holiday flowers this week, you may find yourself asking the question: “Are Easter lily plants poisonous to dogs?”

The short answer is NO. According to the ASPCA, Easter lilies are not poisonous to dogs.

Although they’re not lethal to dogs, Easter lilies can still cause intestinal discomfort if consumed in large quantities (like most things). Since a dog’s digestive system isn’t accustomed to processing large amounts of raw plant matter, your curious canine could experience an upset stomach, vomiting, or diarrhea.  

If you have cats, however, steer clear: the Easter lily plant is highly toxic to felines. If ingested, even in small amounts, Easter lilies can cause kidney failure in cats, and ultimately death.

Even though Easter lilies are not poisonous to dogs, there are several important things to keep in mind.

  1. Your dog can still get sick from any chemicals you spray on your plants, such as insecticides, fungicides, or pesticides.
  2. According to the Missouri Botanical Garden, Easter lilies are susceptible to Botrytis fungi. This fungus causes food poisoning in humans and can make your dog very sick.
  3. If your dog really goes to town while munching on this plant, he could suffer from intestinal obstruction as plant matter builds up.

Advertisment

Prev1 of 3

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments